Tuesday, December 23, 2008

i should burn this stuff

The dangerous stuff that lurks in drawers and closets:

  • Clothes that date from 1998, like my Buffy-era vinyl jacket and that liberty print pique dress that looked good on me before I "blossomed." Also, something I called my "lucky skirt", which you may take to mean what you will. It used to be cute and flirty. Now I can't fit it anymore. It now makes me look like one of those girls in high school. You know what I mean.
  • That one picture from the one high school dance I went to when I was on the prom committee and went stag because no boy liked me. I am wearing glasses in the picture!
  • My English essays from high school. My essays from college, which weren't that much better until my junior year.
  • A box of prints of the magazine we "published" when I was president of my high school literary club. Some awful shit in there, and some of it mine.
  • A box of prints of some feminist newspapers we published when I co-edited the feminist newspaper in college. Some good stuff in there, some of it mine, but also some really bad poetry, some of it mine.
  • A mix CD from my first boyfriend. I'd put up the playlist, but it includes Goo Goo Dolls and Hootie and the Blowfish and Dave Matthews. All on one disc!
  • A huge stack of letters from friends who are no longer friends, merely because we grew up and grew apart. Sometimes, you gotta let go.