Wednesday, October 08, 2008

our far flung reporter

Reporting from the music library today. I was sitting next to this girl who was clearly actually studyin gmusic, which most people in this library do not (I see law students for sure, but there's other departments too as this is the only air conditioned library on campus). Her work looks so interesting. She had massive headphones, stacks of classical music CDs, and for some reason, a DVD of Buffy lying about. So I was wondering in my head (not out loud) whether she was writing a master's thesis on dramatic tension and the supernatural in musical composition, using Buffy as an example of how scoring can enhance the psychic disconnect between reality and the mystical. Or whatever, I am making this up as I go along, but now you know how humanities-minded people can work. And it's not so far fetched; when I was in college, one of my friends in the humanities honors program wrote her senior thesis on supernatural themes in Henry James's and Benjamin Britten's versions of The Turn of the Screw.

Right now I'm sitting across from some lovey dovey couple who cannot study without kissing every five minutes. Hmm. I am quite affectionate and may be even accused of being over-affectionate, but TD should be mollified that the last thing I want to do when I'm working is to cuddle. Also, the guy sitting across from me is wearing way too much cologne. It reminds me of my law school days when I lived in a converted house on sorority row, and the frat pledge dudes would come a-serenading ("you've lost that lovin' feelin') and it was like a olfactory assault in the form of 20 dudes wearing Acqua di Gio. Blech. I don't wear perfume anymore at all, because someone has a perfume sensitivity, and so now I'm all overly sensitive to scent as well, and it makes me sort of nauseous. Now I know the pain I used to inflict on others, except that Narciso Rodriguez for women is super nice.

In other news, I think I am sort of getting my head wrapped around how to do a case study of organizational culture and how it affects compliance with EEO mandates and labor regulations. I'm super excited. Well, off to my business school organizational theory colloquium, where no doubt I'll learn some new exciting area of research and learn some interesting methodology and hear people fight about making orthoganal points and such.