Wednesday, September 17, 2008

things I find annoying, #1,006

This whole "lifestyle branding." Probably why I never pulled a Gatsby and coveted the stylings of Brooks Brothers, Polo Ralph Lauren (really now...), or even the vulgar version of Abercrombie and Fitch (which used to be a real outfitter for the likes of T.R!), even though my sartorial inclinations would tend towards the preppy. Really, a boutique-cum-watering hole for the Andover/Exeter/Groton/St. Albans educated gentleman? Ugh. I can imagine a social climber being thrown out with the other riff raff. Also, it seems to me that such an idea of fashion is sort of also branding rich whiteness, the way those rich teenager shows do.

Probably also why I am reacting so disdainfully to the idea that one can market "idleness chic," so well described by the author as a "look of girlish vacancy, one that says: “I get up at noon. And then I spend my day refusing solid foods.” "

Not that I like it when there's an infusion of "ethnic inspiration" in fashion either. But more often than not the fashion industry irritates more than inspires me, which is why I find it so hard to be a girl.