not so random roundup: gender edition
1. The most stupid and offensive Modern Love column ever (and that's saying something, considering there was an article in which the author compared training her husband to training Shamu), in which the author conflates cyber stalking with romance. I want to smack this person upside the head. Danielle Citron at Concurring Opinions has a great response.
2. As mayor of Wasilla, Palin charged victims of rape for their own forensic exams. As Ari Kelman at Edge of the American West notes, this is "beyond blaming the victim." As Feministing notes, Palin should not be considered a feminist just because she's a woman.
3. Gender differences are even greater in more egalitarian societies! Or, maybe the issue is framing and interpretation. Studying the sociology of culture this semester, I'm leaning towards the latter.
4. Japanese women choose work and independence; Belle claps happily for them.
5. I love Sarah Haskins's "Target Women" videos. And there's more of them.