Thursday, September 18, 2008

genius idea that makes me sound high

I've actually never been stoned (no, really!), but I got up early to do work and prep tonight's dinner, and I was thinking that they should make a tubular tupperware so that you can pour your garlic-ginger-lime-chili (with honey) marinade over your 1.5 lb pork tenderloin and have it coat all sides, like a brine. It just looks so inefficient in my glass baking dish, with the liquid hardly touching any of the pork. I'm trying to remember anything from high school chemistry as to whether osmosis will mean that my marinade will permeate the pork cell walls to imbue the porcine cells with limey goodness.

Of course, you have to discard the marinade and roast on a baking sheet, so all the more wasteful that it's not evenly coating the pork right now. When I come home in eleven hours, it should be hopefully flavorful. Pork tenderloin is a fickle meat; often too lean and thus dry. You have to marinate or else wrap in fat. Last time I cut thick medallions and wrapped them in bacon, and it all fell apart in the pan so we just had pork chased by more pork rather than pig in a pig blanket.

Apologies to my vegetarian/vegan friends for today's objectionable content! Certain vegans are near and dear to my heart, and this non-sanctimonious vegetarian manifesto perfectly describes how friends of different persuasions may still come together in comity. After all, the premise that "I don't like what you like, therefore I have contempt for you" is a false one.