Friday, June 27, 2008

I still can't swim.


Hey, Catherine A. also has trouble
. And she's in even better shape than I am. I also run, but shorter distances lately. Still, I don't think it's my lack of lung capacity either. I'm in pretty good shape, I think, and not too heavy. I can do a full body pushup, so there's some arm muscles. Running means leg muscles, and I cross train and do ab work every day. So, I have some muscles, lung capacity, cardio health, and overall, pretty good health.

So why can't I swim?!

I know part of it is due to phobia. I start hyperventilating as soon as I get in the water, and that doesn't help. It takes me 10 minutes to relax or so, and even then, my body is a rigid plank. I can do the freestyle, but that wears me out within a few laps, and knowing that I'm in water deeper than I am tall also makes me freak out and sink.

But my biggest problem is learning how to tread water. I can float on my back, and if I didn't get so damn tired, freestyle (never learned the breast stroke though). But I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with my arms and legs in treading water, and it feels so difficult. I feel exhausted after trying to do this for just five minutes. Again, it can't be due to my lack of fitness, whatever TD says, because less fit people can tread water, and I don't think I'm that bad if I can book it up trails with him.

So I've been watching YouTube videos for idiots/children, and still, not sinking in. Really, is this what I'm supposed to do with my arms and legs? Also, I can't figure out the egg beater kick, because I am one of those idiots who can pat their heads and rub their stomachs, but I can't kick in opposite directions. I also have no idea what she means by "sculling," since what TD describes and has me do is forcefully propel myself upwards to create downward thrust, and that's really tiring--not easy going like she's doing.

If you could describe in graphic, this is how you walk, by lifting up one leg and putting it in front of the other idiot terms, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I may just have to take a swimming class. I have vowed to learn how to swim because 1) I can't just sit there and watch a kid die, should a kid fall in, and 2) I go sailing, and you know, occupational hazard.