Thursday, June 19, 2008

college music

When I was visiting my parents, I was tempted to blog a list of my music collection (my CDs are still in my closet at the house, along with my high school and college papers, my one prom picture from that time I went stag because I was on the prom committee...), but visiting home is already fraught with so much tension, that I could not bear to invite your further disdain by admitting that I luuurrrved such crappy bands as Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Better Than Ezra, Live, Goo Goo Dolls, and holy mackerel, Dexter Freebish. It was like I was a walking advertisement for Ultimate White People Bands of the '90s! And then there was my trip hop/downtempo phase, and WTF, is that the Sneakerpimps I see? Although that was kind of a make out song, as was Moby's "Porcelain" and that one Morcheeba and that other Massive Attack album. Too bad College Boyfriend Dude was into the god awful Matchbox 20 (which I got over in high school) and kept inflicting horn rock onto mine ears. Like, that's one step down from Chicago, yo. Although, look, there's Sarah MacLachlan, and I still love "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy." Why can't there be a Lilith Fair reunion tour? And look also, Indigo Girls, that one Shawn Colvin album, Tracy Chapman, and pre-Glen Ballard Shelby Lynne, and Aimee Mann. Fuck yeah, grrrls rock!

This Slate review of the latest Coldplay almost redeems me (or the band, whatever), but not really. Greil Marcus once said that U2's (which Coldplay is trying to best) TV corollary is "M*A*S*H, because both got a little preachy in the end. So what is Coldplay? A less successful, less culturally significant M*A*S*H? You know, like Heroes or something? Still, idealistic times call for idealistic music, although it's just way too emo for me nowadays. It's like listening to Bright Eyes. You have to ask yourself, what in the world is wrong with you?

Anyway, 'fess up, people. Admit to your playing list from college. This will ease you into the inevitable embarrassment when I ask you about your favorite high school bands. And that will be the post in which I admit to bobbing my head to "Motown Philly."