Tuesday, May 27, 2008

oh no you di'n't

Sigh. And yet I did.

Because I am an alcoholic working in a bar (i.e., academic), in an attempt to increase non-existent productivity and avoid procrastination, particularly during the unscripted summer hours, I have installed Leechblock.

As Jeremy Freese says, this is not for the faint of heart.

People, this means no blogging or surfing or shopping between the hours of 9 am to 7 pm, except for 10 minutes every two hours. OMG. And also, since I am trying to stay offline at night and cook and spend with TD, that means I can only surf/blog while dinner is cooking or in the early morning before work starts. Or in the 10 minutes every two hours. Or during days he's busy, which is when I have been blogging anyway. So really, what I'm doing is cutting out mindless surfing and long comment threads (cough Unfogged cough).

This means shorter posts, or longer ones that you can anticipate late at night or early in the morning.

I still have to limit checking email though, because blocking gmail is less of an option. I will figure that one out later.

Sigh. I think I am starting to understand how alcoholics, smokers, and druggies feel. I haven't ever been addicted to any habit forming substance, but I'd have to say, this is a contender.

Also, to my pen pals, this means less spam that comes in the form of "look at this thing I read," which may help your productivity too. But I'll still write you emails. Wait, I have to fix that habit too. Damn it.

Sigh.