Saturday, May 03, 2008

liberation

It's usually a dumb idea after a breakup (cough Felicity cough), but cutting 4 inches off your hair feels liberating after a tough week in which someone took what, in ye olden days, would be called a "cudgel" and swung it repeatedly at your emotional and professional self.

No, I am not broken up, or especially traumatized by the exam--but I felt, after last Thursday, ready for a change. I wanted to go into exams and this summer with less of a heavy head. That I was feverish when I decided to chop off my hair was probably inadvisable, but the result is cute. Or at least I hope so.

In other news, re movies about the opposite of liberation:

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay disappointed. It had such promise, and wasted it all. Sigh.

A movie about the Stanford (Zimbardo) Prison Experiment sounds like a great cinematic excavation of IRB issues, social psychology, and situationalism. It also sounds like every Hollywood misfit "character actor" under 25 is in it, including a Culkin. I am skeptical, but I will see this, and I will probably be extremely bothered by either the bad acting or, if it is successful, the verisimilitude.