Friday, May 02, 2008

correlation does not equal causation

I didn't care about its impact on my kidneys or metabolism (in fact, I would crack open a can, take a sip, and point at what I thought were my kidneys to Jurisprudential Boy of Wonder with a big thumbs up, to which he would say "those are your ovaries--your kidneys are in the back!"), but I was ready to throw out all of the Diet Coke in my house because it seemed to be burning my throat. I was constantly thirsty, and it felt like pure acid down the ol' esophagus. An hour later, my throat was still hurting, and so I ate ice cream. "Evil poison!" I wanted to shout at my beloved beverage of choice.

Today, I woke up with swollen glands, and I woke up at 11 am. Crap, great timing for strep throat. On the other hand, perhaps my extreme physical reaction to yesterday's too-short-to-traumatize oral exam is explained. I collapsed on the couch after making rice krispie treats, stayed awake for an hour, and collapsed again when TD came home at 11 pm--from work! 12 hours of sleep, not including yesterday's nap! Strep throat sucks. I used to get it a lot as a kid, and really wish I had ripped out my tonsils back then.

This is statistical inference in real life, folks. Don't be stupid like me. On the other hand, as soon as I recover, I can drink Diet Coke again. De-licious! My ovaries love Diet Coke!