Friday, January 25, 2008

Movie Review: Persepolis



Beautifully drawn, visually stunning, and emotionally resonant. As good as the books. Worth seeing on the big screen.

This is no light praise. I am a big graphic novel fan. Praise for Marjane Satrapi's "groundbreaking" memoir is well deserved. They assign the book at West Point for good reason.

When a movie is really good, and there's nothing I have to quibble with it, there's not much else to say. I liked it. Go see it.

My movie date, The Idealist, was also enthusiastic about the movie. We chose it as an end of the week, grrrl power pick me up. I was coming from my Gender Discrimination Law class, and she from volunteering at a legal clinic. I am glad that we chose a movie that was about revolutions small and big, personal and political. It was honest without being emotionally draining, and hopeful without being maudlin.

Best line ever: "I had survived a revolution, but a banal love story nearly killed me."

Tonight, believe it or not, I'm seeing another movie. Oh, to be a grad student. To come: a review of No Country for Old Men. Unless we see Atonement.