Sunday, February 19, 2006

They Don't Know My Rock and Roll


I was going to title this post "So Long, Suckas!" until I realized that I was the sucka and so it didn't really make sense. I'm leaving tomorrow to take the CA Bar. which makes me the herb/nerd/loser/sucka/fool. Thus, I won't be blogging for a few days. I don't feel totally prepared, but you never can when you have so much to remember for a thirteen subject, three- day, six subject essays, two performance tests, 300 multiple choice questions type of exam. I don't have everything I need to know memorized, but no one ever does. I didn't practice enough multiple choice or essays, but no one can. So in thinking about it, it's not so much skill or practice as nerves and a serious inclination to throw up that usually messes me up on exams. I used to be a good test taker (usually taking them cold) before law school, where I discovered that I could work incredibly hard (read everything/attend each class and office hours/create elaborate outline) and get a C+, or fuck up (not read/go to class for the semester/ rely on someone else's outline) and get a solid B. It's arbitrary. Effort helps, but it's no guarantee. Extraordinary effort doesn't yield extraordinary results--so whatever I've put in, I just hope it's good enough for the median, and good enough to pass. So though I'm not feeling extremely confident, I'm feeling calm. So I'm hoping that the lack of nerves and the "I don't really care anymore" attitude will be what helps me get through this and pass. Seems like "getting pumped" and "geared up," for this Type-A person in an entire profession of Type-A persons doesn't really work, so maybe being relaxed, not jumpy, not nervous, not hyper, not hyperventilating (i.e., not me) will serve me better. That said, I do have some pump-me-up music to help. On my iPod "Rock This!" play list:

1. Believe It Or Not - Theme from "The Greatest American Hero"
2. Eye of the Tiger - Theme from "Rocky"
3. Take On Me - A Ha
4. Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
5. Changes - David Bowie
6. Heroes - David Bowie
7. Golden Years - David Bowie
8. Baba O'Riley - The Who
9. We Are the Champions - Queen
10. Spaceship - Kanye West
11. Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
12. Jump! Jump! - Kriss Kross
13. Jesus Walks - Kanye West
14. I'll Fly Away - Kanye West
15. Chariots of Fire Theme - John Williams
16. Superman Theme - John Williams
17. Going the Distance - From "Rocky"
18. Extreme Ways - Moby
19. Ready Steady Go - Paul Oakenfold
20. Absurd - Fluke
21. I'm Not Worried At All - Moby

Disqualified for being sung by a pedophile self-exiled to Vietnam where he is preying on the local girls and settling with their families for a measly $2500: Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll, Part II (Hey!)"

I usually don't like techno, but I find that it's pretty good for getting me me feeling like I can kick the Bar bitch's ass. It's the basis for a lot of recent spy/thriller soundtracks, so I guess there's a certain violence associated with it, even though Moby is just a weird, kind of wussy guy. The only drawback is that Queen is so overused for sporting events (another strike against Glitter) that I feel like I should be throwing something after listening to it--a football, a baseball, my laptop....

So the blogfast will end Thursday night, but no promises to post until Friday morning. When I come back, I'll post on things I really wish I could blog about today--the "death" of multiculturalism," introverts and people who love them, low/middle/high brow culture and whether this hierarchy has fluid boundaries, federalism and minority rights, and gender and the academe.

So thanks for reading (especially those of you in Irvine, Los Angeles, West Covina, Warwick, RI, Nashville, TN, Columbia, SC, and Melbourne, Australia who keep coming back for some reason), and I'll see you in a few days. It's because there's a potential that I'll be read (by a lot more than the 6 friends I let in on this, who never seem to read this blog--so much for the ones who love you most for being interested in what you think) that I try to write every night, and try to write interesting, thoughtful posts. I don't always succeed, but I'm sure even Glenn Reynolds and Atrios have their "eh, what the heck" days. But when I come back, I will blog harder/faster/better. I will Blog the Distance. I will Blog Like No One Has Blogged Before or Will Again. Or, you know, just resume the regular blogging schedule and hope to maintain the same level of mediocrity/quality. Whichever. Posted by Picasa